Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hallelujah!

I got a job! That month of not having a job was no fun! I hardly slept and I've never had sleeping problems! Just to let you know...I don't expect you all to read this, I'm just writing down everything, mostly using it as a journal entry! HAHA!So here's a little story. Even before I moved up here I have been searching for a job. There were two places, Zija and APX alarm (data entry department) that would've hired me if I was in Utah about 2 weeks before I moved up here. Once I got here the those positions were filled by the time I got here so I continued to search for a job. I applied EVERYWHERE!!! I was just trying to get started somewhere. When I talked to the lady at APX about the other job she said her department was full but to try the customer support department that was still hiring, so I resubmitted my resume for that. I also signed up with three different staffing agencies to try to get some temp work and hopefully eventually a permanent job. When I signed up with them they said they didn't have any work that I was interested in, such as secretary work, but they will probably have some manufacturing work open up soon and asked if I was interested in that. I said what the heck why not, work is work and I need that paycheck! So about a week after signing up with them I got a call and they had an opening at warehouse called Monosystems. They build some part for the Boeing airplane and what they needed me to do was cut fiber material. It was this black sticky material that I cut on a board with a rotary blade. It was equipped with safety glasses, an apron, plenty of layers of gloves, and Spanish music to listen to!!!




Let's just say it was a good experience! I worked from 7am-3:30pm with some very interesting, nice people. It was hard work but I caught on to it and I'm glad I took the job! I was able to bring my Ipod in my arm band and just listened to music all day while I cut! I did that for 6 days (one Friday, and then Monday-Friday the next week). So on Wednesday of that week I got a message during my lunch break from Apx asking if I was still interested in the job! I set up an interview for that day at 4:30pm! I was stoked!!! I went to the interview and it was fabulous! I felt so comfortable during it and it was great! (especially compared to the train wreck interview I had previously at Buckle) The guy who interviewed me was so nice and said that he was pretty sure I'd get the job, I didn't have much to worry about but that I'd hear back either Thursday or Friday! I was so happy and about a half hour later when I was at home I got a call from the manager offering me the job! I was SO happy! I was jumping up and down! And know that it was my last week at the temp job made going back to it for the next two days so much easier! :) It was pretty much one of the best days! I started the next Monday (6/15) and after two weeks of training I officially started!



So what I do there is work in the customer support department which is a call center. One of thirty eight calls centers in the US our of something like 77,000 that had received the J.D. Power and associates award. Anyway, I talking the inbound calls that can really be about anything. I will verify a summers sales rep, answer billing questions, questions about the contract, simple trouble shooting and stuff like that! If I can't help them I get them to the department that can help them such as technical support, billing, scheduling etc.




I really do like what I do even though there are some phone calls that I rather not take. I feel like I been well trained and am able to do what I need to. They give us a lot to work with and I am able to help customers out. It's also a really social place to work at which is nice too. I am so grateful to have a job!!!! Of course there are days that I don't want to go to work but that's normal. Most other days are just fine! And I really do think that APX alarm is a great company and that it's services are fabulous! You should all get systems! :)

And that's about it, if you actually made it through this novel congratulations! Many have asked me about this so I thought I'd share and it's always good to have that experience written down so that I can remember it!

Check it out!

1 comment:

Kate said...

You are so funny... I am still laughing about the 'train wreck of an interview' comment...lol so funny.